Mission Integration & Spiritual Care (Pastoral Care)
The Mission Integration & Spiritual Care (Pastoral Care Services) Department offers spiritual support to patients, their families and hospital staff. This ministry is manifested most clearly in times of crisis. The chaplains are committed to respect the dignity and faith tradition of each individual, and to guide and direct the spiritual climate of the institution. They base their pastoral care ministry on an inclusive basis, open to persons of all faiths or no faith. The chaplains also facilitate communication between patients and their faith communities.
Pastoral Care Services
The Pastoral Care Services offered by Shady Grove Adventist Hospital include:
- Spiritual support to all patients, their families and hospital staff
- Responding to crises and referrals in a timely manner
- Special rituals and services including: communion, anointing, funerals and memorial services
- Participation in discharge planning and other interdisciplinary meetings
- “Reflection” and prayer over the hospital public address system, seven days a week at 8:25 a.m. & 7:25 p.m.
- A week of Spiritual Emphasis in the spring during Holy Week and a week of Pastoral Care celebration in the fall for all in the hospital
- Support staff Prayer Ministry
- Quarterly Grief Care Support Groups for general losses
- Monthly Empty Arms, Aching Heart (EAAH) support groups for perinatal loss
- Memorial Services of Remembrance for bereaved families of deceased patients
- Employee bereavement support.
Pastoral Care is available to you and your loved ones during your time in the hospital. Our chaplains will be a resource to you during this time in your life. We can assist in your spiritual needs through prayer, sacrament, rituals, or reaching out to a clergy that you are familiar with.