Clinical Pastoral Education
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is interfaith, graduate level, professional education for ministry. It brings theological students and clergy of all faiths (pastors, priests, rabbis, imams, monks and others) into supervised delivery of pastoral care to patients, family and staff and clinical learning for the student.
For more information contact:
The AHC Clinical Pastoral Education Program; Office: 240-826-6112, or Fax: 240-826-6656; or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The essential elements of CPE include:
- The actual practice of ministry to persons
- Detailed reporting and evaluation of that practice
- Pastoral Supervision
- A process concept of learning
- A theological and theoretical perspective on all elements of the program
- A small group of peers in a common learning experience
- A specific time period
- An individual contract for learning consistent with the objectives of CPE
- The CPE program is conducted under the auspices of an Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) Certified Supervisor (faculty) attached to an ACPE accredited CPE center.
Clinical Pastoral Education Program Sites
Shady Grove Adventist Hospital is a 340-bed, state-of-the-art medical and surgical acute care facility that serves as a primary health care resource for more than 250,000 local residents.
Adventist Behavioral Health
Adventist Rehabilitation Hospital of Maryland
Clinical Pastoral Education Program Formats
Under ACPE guidelines, the AHC-CPE program is designed to be a minimum 400 hours of education for ministry work under the facilitation of a Certified ACPE Supervisor. There are 300 hours of practicum and a minimum of 100 hours of didactic. Currently, we offer two program formats:
- Full Year CPE Residency: This 3 unit program begins in September and ends the following August.
- Intensive CPE Internship: Individual units beginning in September, January and June.
The full year Residency commitment has a stipend amount of $28,000 for the year.
The tuition cost per unit is $650. There is a $25 application fee and a $50 fee for a supervisor interview for another center.
For additional information please visit our Clinical Pastoral Education Program FAQ's or contact the Pastoral Care Department at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital at (240) 826-6112.